< Facing Retirement with A Disabled Adult or Minor Child | Law Office of Madeline M. McIntosh Skip to navigation
Compassionate Guidance Through Life's Most Difficult Moments REACH OUT TODAY

Facing Retirement with A Disabled Adult or Minor Child

March 20, 2020

So you are facing retirement age and you want to apply for Social Security, but have some idea that benefits may be available for your son or daughter who is disabled. If your disabled child is a minor, under the age of 18, he or she qualifies for benefits disabled or not. Those benefits will be in place until your child reaches 18. Once the child has his or her 18th birthday, Social Security will contact you and ask if your child is disabled or not.

If the answer is yes that your child has a disability, then a determination is made by the Administration as to whether the child fits the legal definition of “disability” for Social Security's part. Medical forms are submitted to prove this. If your child is disabled under their definition, then benefits continue for life.

There is another option for benefits for you called Disabled Adult Child. This is the classification for your child's disability if it began prior to their 22nd birthday.

So you're wondering how much does Social Security pay? Fifty percent of your full retirement benefit. It now becomes a decision for you, retiree, as to what age you would like to retire. Remember retirement is calculated differently at 62 versus 66. If you receive $2000 a month as pension at 66, your disabled child will receive half that per month. The calculation is less, and retirement benefits are reduced to about 75% of what would have been your full retirement amount, should you decide to retire sooner, say at 62.

You may also be wondering about what will happen if you pass away, and whether benefits continue for your child. The answer is yes, benefits will continue and for life if your child remains disabled. The payment calculation then drops to seventy-five percent of your full retirement amount of $2000 per month.

This blog is intended for information purposes only and does not establish legal representation or financial guidance.